HOME

ABOUT US

TOWN OFFICIALS

SERVICE PROVIDERS

LINKS

 

 

 

 


About Us

A HISTORY OF DRAKES BRANCH, VIRGINIA

The town is located in Charlotte County, Virginia about eighty miles from Richmond, Virginia and about sixty miles from Danville, Virginia. Surrounded on all sides by hills, Drakes Branch is 375 feet above sea level, and there are two streams within the town limits. Twitty’s Creek a tributary of the Roanoke River gave the town its name and beginnings. In 1842 the Southern Railroad built the Richmond-Danville division passing through the site of the present town.

A family by the name of Drakes lived on the heights west of the railroad. Pipe was laid and water from the headwaters of a little stream was conveyed by gravity into railroad tanks. The watering spot was named “Drake’s Branch.” Later a station was built near where “the branch” flowed into Twitty’s Creek, a tributary of the Roanoke River, and a plank road was built to Charlotte Court House, five miles away. Thus the town was born.

 

 

Town of Drakes Branch
P.O. Box 191 - 4800
Drakes Branch Main St.
Drakes Branch, VA 23937
Phone: 434-568-3091
Email Us: drakesbr@hovac.com
All rights reserved. ©Copyright 2008